Sonic Design - Project 1




5/5/2020 - 2/6/2020 (Week 4 - Week 8 )
Lee Yu Hui | 0335787
Sonic Design
Project 1

Project 1

For this weeks class we're starting to prepare ourselves for our first project, which would be auditory imaging. We were given a few topics to choose from, and from there we would have to create a storyline for the soundscape of the topic.

We were given time to brainstorm about our project, and we discussed it with Mr. Razif. He gave us feedback for our project, and things that we need to be mindful of when doing the project.

We were asked to provide 3 different story ideation, and so I've chose 3 different topics and wrote 3 different script for it:

1. Everyday Home Life

While watching television in the room, the mc heard a weird voice coming from the other side of the room. He didn't seemed to notice at first, but the sound became more frequent and it began to bother him. He was worried that it might be a burglar in the house, but it turns out it was just a cat flipping through his garbage bin

2. Industry and Electronic Sound 

A woman whilst working, was feeling very hungry as her tummy was grumbling. She decided to eat secretly while making sure no one notices.

3. Weather

A woman walked out from a building only to find out that the weather is turning bad. She then hurried to her car but she was too late, it started raining and she was forced to look for her car key in her bag in the rain/ struggles to open the umbrella



I ended up choosing the topic about everyday home life, where it tells a story taking place in ones daily life. With the topic chosen, I proceed to start the ideation of the scene.

With the script written out, I showed it to Mr. Razif. He told me that the stories doesn't have to be dramatic, but it has to be descriptive about what's around. He wanted us to not focus too much on the actions of the character but rather the environment ambiance.

With that in mind, I made sure to focus more on the ambiance sound. 

I listed out the sounds that I need for the scenes, so that it would be easier when it comes to editing the audio.

1. Cat's meow
2. House fan
3. Indoor footsteps
4. Light flicker
5. News broadcast
6. Couch sound
7. Metal/trash sound

With most of the audios listed out, I proceed to look for the audio source in freesound.org

The process of searching for the right sound isn't really challenging as most of the sounds that I'm going to use are considered everyday sounds that we could hear.

Editing in Adobe Audition

With all the audio in place, I began editing it in Adobe Audition. I played around with panning and the volume to simulate movement in the scenes, and also made adjustments to the eq of the audio so that the sound would've match the scenes properly. 



After getting done with the editing, I send it over to Mr. Razif for feedback.

First attempt

After listening to the audio, Mr. Razif told me that it would've been nicer to have more sounds in the background (e.g. Leg kicking the sofa) so that the audience could tell where the character is at. I was also told to adjust the volume because it sounded too soft.


Second attempt

After making the amendments, I showed it to Mr. Razif again. This time, he pointed out that the sound of the fan is off as the fan sounded like its flying across the room. He pointed that I should adjust the volume of the fan to mimic the movement instead of panning it.

Third attempt

Before I submit the audio, I send it over to Mr. Razif for feedback again. He gave some suggestions on doing some minor tweaks and adjustments to the audio. And after that's done, I submitted the final version to him.


Final Outcome




Reflection

Overall I'd say this was a fun project as we were given the freedom of creativity to create and set up our own scene. Our lecturer, Mr. Razif has also been very helpful in guiding us and giving us the appropriate feedback for us to improve further. I had fun playing with the audio and learned a few effects to be put into the audio to make it sound more realistic.

Comments

Popular Posts