Motion Graphics and Compositing - Project 1




27/4/2020 - 4/5/2020 (Week 3 - Week 4)
Lee Yu Hui | 0335787
Motion Graphics and Compositing
Project 1 

Instruction





Project 1

For our first project, we are required to create a short animated motion graphics using according to a list of design principles. 


Related image
Fig 1.0 Design principles

Mr. Fauzi showed us a few examples that he made so that we could use it as a guide for the project. Later, we were asked to do an animated motion graphics for the following design principles:

1. Scale
2. Rhythm
3. Symmetry
4. Focus

The animating process is not as complicated, with the help of YouTube, I was able to come out with my desired outcome for each design principles. Below are screenshots of my animation process for each design principles.

Fig 1.1 Rhythm


Fig 1.2 Focus

Fig 1.3 Scale


Fig 1.4 Symmetry


Below is the animated version of each elements:

Vid 1: Symmetry


Vid 2: Focus



Vid 3: Scale


Vid 4: Rhythm

After finishing each design principles, we were required to also combine them into a short clip with audio. Below is my first outcome for the project:


After showing it to Mr. Fauzi, he gave me a few suggestions on the layout for the animation. He advised that I don't overlap the elements, and he also emphasized that we should always organize our working files in after effects. He liked that I used ease in and ease out for the animation, which made the animation looked smoother.

After making some adjustments, this was my final outcome for project 1:




Feedback

Week 4
After looking at the animation, Mr. Fauzi liked that I used ease in-out in the animation to make the transitions and movements smoother. He also said that I used something a little more advanced in terms of the technical part to make create the animation. However, in terms of the overall composition, he said that it can be further improved, and I agree with him.

Reflection

Overall I'm glad that this project went on smoothly. I definitely learned a couple of things on the way, like animation techniques for each design principles as well as the design layout for the composition. I had to admit that I wasn't really good at working with these kind of animated shapes and layout, as I feel like it really requires one to have a great sense of composition, knowing when and where to play with the layout of the elements to make the animation look smooth and not out-of-place. I hope to learn more about this in the future, and I look forward to my upcoming projects.


Comments

Popular Posts