3D Modelling - Project 2


Lee Yu Hui | 0335787
3D Modelling
Project 2



For our second project, we are required to texture our house model. In order to be able to texture in Maya, we need to learn to UV map our models and then only we're able to properly apply our texture into our model. 

Learning UV mapping is a another new experience for me. To me, it is very different from modelling and I did not expect it to be that challenging. However, when I started watching tutorials and listen to Mr Kannan explaining the theories, I felt a bit worried as I could not understand how it works. I ended up spending a few days trying to look for tutorials myself and watching the same tutorial over and over again just to understand what its explaining. 

The whole process of learning how to UV map took me a long time and it is tiring, but finally I understood how it works, and I am more than happy and excited to apply my understanding to my model. 

UV mapping and texturing in Maya

Learning UV map is one thing, but texturing is also rather challenging as well. I had to look for the right texture to be applied, and make sure that the texture fits the model and the aesthetic of the house. For my house model, I also learned how to use alpha channels to create a transparent looking wire fence. At one point the fence wasn't able to render properly, and Mr Kannan gave me some suggestions and pointers on how I could solve it. In the end, I learn another type of texturing, which is to mask the texture in maya and apply it on my model, and luckily I was able to render it.  




Final outcome

Overall, I was quite happy that I got to learn something myself, and I was proud of the output of the wire fence and gate. I wished I had more time to learn more skills to further improve the texturing of the house though.


Reflection

Learning how to texture and UV map turns out to be quite a challenge, but I was happy that I got to learn some new skills through YouTube as Mr Kannan was unfortunately sick for quite some time. Though I'll admit that it is no where near perfect, but I am glad and proud that I got to research and look for solutions myself. I am grateful that Mr Kannan still tried to help me with my work despite being sick, and without his patience and support, I would've probably gave up a long time ago. I hope that I'm able to further hone my skills in Maya and hopefully someday I'll able to produce something that I'm truly proud of.

Comments

Popular Posts