3D Modelling - Final Project


Lee Yu Hui | 0335787
3D Modelling
Final Project

For our final project, we are required to sculpt an organic model. We got to learn Z brush and learn to do basic sculpting in Z brush. Z brush is really handy for organic modelling, and I was really interested in sculpting my model in Z brush as I like drawing characters in my free time. 

Z brush interface is rather straightforward, and I got to familiarize myself with it pretty easily as it works similarly to Maya. Unfortunately we weren't able to learn too in depth about Z brush due to time constraint and Mr Kannan's sudden accident. 

It took me a while to figure out what characters I want to sculpt as I wanted to do something stylized but personalized as well. I ended up using one of my recent sketches as my reference for my final project.


Character sketch

The character originally was one that I drew while I was bored in class, and I ended up creating a backstory for the character as I really liked the character. I imagined her being a wielder of wind/nature, and therefore for the outfit design I decided to go for something flowy to represent her abilities as well as her personality. I tried to make her look like she belongs to some kind of tribe in the forest, and therefore she has quite a strong personality and does not fear of fighting. 



Image reference for the character design

Once I was happy with the design, I began sculpting in Z Brush. I have never sculpted in Z brush before, let along human sculpting. It turns out to be quite a challenge as human sculpting requires basic knowledge of human anatomy, which I don't. I was forced to look for tutorials online and try to understand the basic of sculpting a human face. Mr Kannan was also kind and understanding enough to let me sculpt the character up until her head bust, and therefore I was able to focus on doing more details of the character.

Sculpting in Z brush

I spend a few days trying to understand the basic anatomy and how to sculpt them in Z brush, it was very hard as some of the tutorials online are hard to follow. Luckily I had help from one of my friend in Entertainment Design, and she had suggested and send me tutorials that are easy to follow as well as giving feedback for my sculpting. With that, I was able to finish sculpting in Z brush





Final outcome

I had a hard time learning how to sculpt the mouth and therefore the outcome of the mouth wasn't as nice as I wanted it to be. The eyes and the nose could also be nicer, but due to time constraint I wasn't able to do much. However as I progress I slowly learn more and more about sculpting in Z brush, and it is really interesting to see how others did things.

Final Compilation

Reflection

Overall 3D Modelling is a really interesting module. I learned a lot from it and it had continued to spark my interest towards modelling in 3D. Before I started learning 3D Modelling, I already knew that I am going to have a hard time learning it, however even so, I am more determined to master this and I hope to expand my knowledge in 3D. I am truly grateful that Mr Kannan has given us a lot of guidance throughout the semester and he has been very patient with us. I wouldn't be here without his guidance and support, and I hope that I can continue to polish my skills in Maya and Z brush.



Comments

Popular Posts