3D Modelling - Exercise




Lee Yu Hui | 0335787
3D Modelling
Exercises

Exercise 1

For our first class, Mr. Kannan introduced us to 3D Modelling. He briefed us about what we're going to do and what is expected of us. To be honest I felt a little nervous after hearing what we're expected to do, but I really wanted to master this as I really liked animation. We were introduced to a few different softwares, one of them being Maya and Zbrush. 

For our first exercise, we are required to model a gun based on guns that we like. I  initially choose to do a gun that was similar to the reference video that Mr Kannan provided us, however I had a hard time trying to follow the tutorial as the the narrator was not very clear in explaining his process and he uses too many shortcuts that I struggle to find in Maya. After listening to our complains, Mr Kannan taught us again from scratch and guided us through on how to model certain parts of the gun.

It really took me a long time to finally understand how Maya works and how it operates. I already knew beforehand that learning Maya is going to be challenging and therefore I took a while to familiarize myself with the software. 

After having a better understanding of the software, I completed my first model, which was a pistol. 


Reference image for gun modelling

Modelling in Maya



Final Outcome

I wasn't really satisfied with my final outcome as there are some parts that I think could be improved, but for my first time doing it, I felt happy to be able to model the basic appearance of the gun. 

Exercise 2

For our second exercise, we are required to model a vehicle that we like. Right away I knew that I wanted to go for a more stylized cartoonic style as I am fond of styles like that.

I started off by looking for reference online. I went to Pinterest and look for references that I like, and I stumbled upon one of the sushi delivery motorbike and I decided to work with that.






Image references from Pinterest

I decided to tweak it a little and make mine slightly different from the original reference image. I sketched it out on a piece of paper and proceeded to model according to my sketch. 

My sketch for vehicle modelling

Modelling in Maya

I didn't stick with my initial sketch as some of the parts does not look well after connected, therefore I made changes and make a hotdog delivery bike instead. I followed the reference for some parts of the bike and made the proportion look exaggerated so that it looked more stylized. 

This is my final outcome:











Final Outcome


Reflection

After finishing the vehicle modelling, I feel more confident and I felt a little proud for completing the model. Though I have much more to learn, I was happy with the outcome. Mr Kannan gave us a lot of tips and tutorials on modelling, and I am beyond grateful for his patient guidance. This has made me even more determined to improve my modelling skills so that I could utilize this skills in the future. 

Comments

Popular Posts