Illustration and Visual Narrative - Project 1


Week1-Week14
Lee Yu Hui (0335787)
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Project 1

Instructions



Project 1
This is my first time getting into Illustrator. This is a whole new experience for me. This was my very first class in this semester. Our lecturer Mr. Hafiz introduced us to the software "Adobe Illustrator", and in the first class, he taught us how to use the basic pen tool to draw out simple curves and shapes.

Figure 1.0

 We were then told to create a character design for a Pokemon card. This was the very first assignment that we were given to do, and I got very nervous yet excited, since this is my first hands on design project.

That being said, we were given a few rules to follow:
- We're not allowed to distort the shapes, we can only size the vormator shape.
- We can only use the shapes given to create our character.

Using the vormator shapes, I've created several kinds of shapes, but I kept deleting them as they weren't really what I want, until finally, I decided to stick with a fairy like character design. I got the inspiration when I was playing around with "the drop" and "the zerk". 



Figure 1.1 My final character design.

When it comes to creating the background, I had a rough idea of 
what I wanted to do. Since it's a "flower fairy", I decided that the best background would be in the forest/ nature. 


Figure 1.2 My initial background

For the background, we were given the freedom to use any shapes that we want, and I wanted to make my background as simple as possible, so that the background doesn't stand out too much. 

However, after having the first design, I wasn't too pleased with it as I think it looked a bit too simple and empty, and so, I decided to add some clouds to the background to make it look more fantasy-like.


Figure 1.3 My final background

Next, our class was brought to Fabspace in KL to see and learn about laser cutting. I was amazed by the huge laser cutting machines there, even though our school also provide laser cutting machine, but it's an eye-opening experience for me as I get to see lots of other people's work, and being able to see how they can make different kinds of products using laser cut. 

Then, we were told to hand in a printed out version of our character design, and so I did.


Figure 1.4 My printed out character using laser cut.

Later, we were also told to print out our Pokemon card. I actually had a lot of fun doing it as we were not really restricted to a certain theme and all. I made mine a plant-based pokemon, which in the end I think it turned out well.



Figure 1.5 My pokemon card.

Reflection:
This was my first time getting into AI, and I was amazed and hyped because I'm actually learning how to draw in illustrator. The whole experience was amazing and fun as I got to learn the basics of illustrating and using vormator shapes to create a character. In the end, we even got the chance to visit a laser cut store and observe how they bring things to life using laser cut. 

This marks the end of my first project! Thanks for watching!

Comments

Popular Posts