Illustration and Visual Narrative - Exercises


Week1-Week14
Lee Yu Hui (0335787)
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Exercises

Instructions


Exercise 1 - Vormator
For our first exercise, we were required to trace simple vormator shapes and try to get used to the pen tool in AI. To be honest it was quite hard at the start as I was not used to it and I had a hard time doing the curves using pen tool in AI. Nevertheless, I learned the basics of AI and I think it's a great start.

My sketches in AI.

We were then assigned to do a character design based on the vormator shapes that were given to us. Since I'm new to this, my initial designs were kind of bad and funny looking. But after studying some samples online, I figured that I could make a petite fairy out of these vormator shapes. 


My final character design.
Exercise 2- Chiaroscuro Pear
For this exercise, I had fun playing around with the colors and I get to learn more about the tools in Ai. I like how it looks like illustrations that you'd normally see in advertisements, it's minimal but looks good in the eye.



My outcome on the pear.

Then, we were told to do trace a man with the picture given to us. I enjoy this exercise a lot as I had fun playing around with different textures and colors.


My final outcome.
Exercise 3- Tansitions
Before we start on our second project, which is creating a comic, Mr. Hafiz taught us about different transitions used in comic. I quickly learned that they're 6 main transitions used in comics, and growing up reading comics, I was fairly amazed by the transitions used in comics. These are the little details that I never really noticed whilst reading, but they play as an important role to ensure the flow of the story goes smooth. 
The 6 main transitions are:
1. Moment to moment
2. Action to action
3. Subject to subject
4.Scene to scene
5.Aspect to aspect
6.Non- Sequitur

Transitions used in comics.

Mr. Hafiz told us to do scenes using the transitions that we learn based on the picture that he gave us. 

Picture that were given to us.
Final outcome.

So that's about it for the exercise! Thanks for watching!















Comments

Popular Posts