Film Studies and Cinematography - Final Project



2/10/2019 - 29/11/2019 (Week 6 - Week 14)
Lee Yu Hui | 0335787
Film Studies and Cinematography
Final Project

For our final project, we are required to create a short animatics based on the story that we had proposed previously. I decided to name my short film "Ruby", as the cat name was Ruby, to indicate its role as a bridge in the film.

I drew my storyboard in Photoshop so that I can make quick changes if needed. We  started doing our first draft for the short film and presented our first draft to our Head of Design School, Dr. Pouline and Mr Mike. 



Presentation slides of the storyboard

After my presentation, Mr. Mike and Dr. Pouline gave me some suggestions to improve my story and the storyboard. Mr. Mike says that there's continuity screen direction errors, and he suggests that I should draw out the map and the worldview so that I can get the angles more accurate. 

I spend the next few weeks trying to make amendments and improve on my previous storyboard. After having the worldview and the characters draw out, I was able to better position my angles and avoid awkward angles.

Drawing the storyboard in Photoshop

After completing the storyboard, I proceeded with animating the storyboard. I used After Effects to edit the movements in the animation, and Premiere Pro to add in sound and transitions. 

Effects and movement editing in After Effects

Sound and Transitions editing in Premiere Pro

After I complete the basic editing, I send in for Mr Mike to review and feedback. 

First Animation Attempt

After Mr Mike reviewed the animation, he says that the flow is there, however there are some parts that looked awkward and unclear due to the transitions. He asks me to cut out some unnecessary parts and further clean up my storyboard so that it looks nicer and have a better flow. I heeded his suggestions and after cleaning up the storyboard, I send him the revised version for feedback.



Revised animatics

After reviewing, Mr Mike approved of the work and I proceeded to add in sounds for my short film. However since my story does not have a single dialogue, I can only use background musics and sound effects to add life the film and communicate my story through it.

Looking for the right sound effects really takes up a lot of time and I unexpectedly spent more time than I intended to on the sound editing. However, once the music was added, I felt accomplished and proud of the outcome. Though I wish I could draw better so that the graphics could look much better and the angles could be nicer, there was not much that I can do due to time constraint.




Ruby - Final Outcome


Reflection

I am glad that this subject is part of the module as I have always been interested in animation and films, and learning more about it made me realize that I really like storytelling. In this class I learned a lot about how Pixar and other film production compose and storytell, and the other factors to consider when creating a story. I am really thankful that Mr Mike has given us a lot of freedom to explore our interests and he tries his best to help us out by providing us sufficient time to complete our projects and giving us helpful feedback for us to improve our work. I could not have gone this far without his guidance, and I would definitely want to learn more about storytelling in the future. 


Comments

Popular Posts