Interactive Design - Project 1


18/4/2019- /4/2019 (Week 3- Week 4)
Lee Yu Hui | 0335787
Interactive Design
Project 1

Instructions


Lecture Notes

Week 3 - 18/4/2019
This week, we're learning about web standards. Even though the web is something that we all use in our everyday lives, how much do we actually know about it? Mr. Shamsul gave us a lecture about the web and how it actually works. I couldn't really understand it in one go since the way the web works is a bit complex. However, it's still interesting to know about the "behind the scenes" of how the web is structured.


Week 4 - 25/4/2019
For this weeks class, we were taught to do simple coding. We had a short lecture before that to know the basics of coding.

Week 5 - 2/5/2019
We were taught more about coding and the difference between inline design vs block design. We also got into a little bit of CSS, which I thought will be quite challenging.



Project 1- Landing Page Design

After the lecture, we were assigned to think of a topic that we want to do for our landing page. Mr. Shamsul said that we could think about our favorite things and develop ideas from there. Since I'm a huge fan of bubble tea, I decided that I'm going to make a landing page about bubble tea.

When proposing the idea to Mr. Shamsul, he reminded me that we should have a clear call to action. At first when I thought of making ordering online as my call to action, but after proposing to Mr. Shamsul, he asked me a series of questions that I never really thought before, that's when I realize that I should try to make it more simple. I then decide to make subscribing to the webpage as the call to action.

After got the ideas sorted out, I started off by sketching and jotting down the information on a paper.

After I've got my overall sketches done, I proceeded to digitizing it.

Fig 1.0 Digitizing in Adobe Illustrator.



Fig 1.1 Landing page (Attempt 1)
 Fig 1.2 Landing page (Attempt 1)


Fig 1.3 Landing page (Attempt 1)

Mr Shamsul reviewed my work and he said that my call to action is not that clear and that the colors looked a bit dull, he also said that the boxes in Fig 1.3 looks a bit restricted. I then proceeded to make some changes.






Fig 1.4 Landing page (Attempt 2)

After making my adjustments and showed it to Mr. Shamsul, he commented that it was much better and that the call to action is much clearer. The colors are also much better and overall it's better than the previous one. 

Feedback

Week 3
When I propose my idea to Mr. Shamsul, he reminded me that we should have a clear call to action. At first when I thought of making ordering online as my call to action, but after proposing to Mr. Shamsul, he asked me a series of questions that I never really thought before, that's when I realize that I should try to make it more simple.

Week 4
Mr. Shamsul commented that the colors is a bit too light and because my words are in white, it didn't stand out. He suggested me to change the colors so that it has more contrast with the words, and that I should make the call to action more clear.

Week 5
Mr. Shamsul said that it was much better, call to action is clear, and the colors are much better compared to the previous one. He suggested that I make the words bigger so that it's more clear.


Reflection

Experiences

Week 3 
The class is quite chill for the most part, but when we were told to make a landing page based on our chosen topic, I was quite thrilled as we could choose to do on any topic that we like.

Week 4
The class mainly focuses on having lectures and giving feedback for our landing page design. Mr. Shamsul gave me really nice advice, which helped me in improving my work. We also got to learn super basic coding, which was fun and interesting to me.

Week 5
This week we learned the basics of coding, and it was actually pretty fun as I've actually did simple coding during my high school years. However since I'm quite a clumsy person, my codes didn't work properly for some parts as I forgot the closing tag sometimes.

Observations

Week 3
I saw a few ideas that my friends proposed and I found some of them to be quite interesting.

Week 4
I notice that a few of my classmates made really nice designs for the landing page, some even looked like it came out from a professional. It's interesting to see designs coming out from different people as it carries very different style.

Week 5
I notice that the way web works behind the scene is very different from my expectations. With softwares provided, we're able to make websites more easier and faster.

Findings

Week 3
I found out that before making our own landing page, we need to consider a lot of other factors and information and decide how and what we want to put in the page.

Week 4
I found out that the behind the scenes of a web is much more complicated than what I think.

Week 5
I discovered that with the help of recent software we're able to create a website in the matter of minutes, but we must never forget the root of it.

Comments

Popular Posts